Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thesis time

The past few weeks have mainly consisted of me working on my thesis research question and finding literature to support it. It has not been the most fun but has gotten me to think more about what my thesis will be on. I'm working now towards developing a plan to study the characteristics of organizations that adapt IFRS so that I can start that up in a week or two, once I have everything settled and prepared.

Besides that it has been a time of meeting up with friends again. We've had a few dinner parties, a Portugese dinner party and an American dinner party (I made home made hamburgers at a Norwegian friend's house... it went over pretty well) and celebrated a few birthdays. It has been fairly laid back for the past few weeks and a lot of fun. That has been great because I know once classes/thesis start up on Monday, I will not have a lot of time to relax.

On another note, Amy and I gave our presentations to the Maastricht Rotary club, which went over very well. We had some interesting questions ranging from corporate transparency to preconceived notions of the Netherlands by Americans to the Tea Party. I was glad that we had an interactive group that really wanted to get to know us better and made us feel so welcomed in their club.

As for now, I need to pack and get to sleep. I found a very cheap Ryanair flight to Riga, Latvia and leave early tomorrow morning. One last hurrah before hitting the books for the next 7 weeks!