Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Amersfoort/Amsterdam



The past week has been amazing in Maastricht. The weather has been perfect, no sign of rain, 75 degrees every day... pretty much perfect. So, I have been doing a lot of my studying outside. I found a great park and study next to the statue of d'Artagnan (one of the 3 musketeers who died in Maastricht). I'm still adjusting to the style of school here, but it's going pretty well.

Last weekend I went to Amsterdam to hang out with my friend Laura, an Ambassadorial Scholar from Canada, and also to head to Amersfort to meet all of the other scholars in the Netherlands. Walking the streets of Amsterdam both during the day and at night was really astonishing. It would have been nice to skip out on the rain, but besides that it was an excellent journey. I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around the canals, viewing the wonderful Canal Home architecture, and checking out the houseboats.

In Amersfort I was able to meet with the other scholars in the Netherlands as well as meeting most of the host Rotarians as well. This was an excellent opportunity to discuss different projects we will hopefully be able to collaborate on throughout the year, as well as just getting to know scholars from around the world and from vastly different backgrounds.

We spent most of the day together talking about our experiences so far in the Netherlands, life in our respective countries, and our plans for changing the world. After spending the morning inside we took out to the streets to wander around the city of Amersfort (which is a beautiful city as well), saw the market, had a drink, and took a wonderful boat trip through the canals.
This past week left me busy, but I know for sure I will be back to Amsterdam and that I will definitely see many of the other scholars again. For this weekend: Munich!