Sunday, September 5, 2010

Second Week in the Netherlands

My second week here in Maastricht has been just as great, although very different, from Inkom week. I had plenty of time to continue exploring this beautiful city. I also have been able to continue strengthening relationships with friends I made my first week here, as well as adding new friends.

One of the more eventful days was Wednesday, we had our Master Orientation Day. This was more like what I had expected orientation week to be. It started with a discussion from the director of the program of working hard and working early, and then continued with a city/campus tour, meeting students who've gone through the program/are half way through the program, and making new friends. It was an incredibly helpful day and I feel much more ready for class to start tomorrow than I had felt a week ago.
On top of that, I had a friend, Christina, come visit from Cologne, Germany. She had actually come to stay with my aunt and uncle as a Rotary Youth Exchange 8 years ago, where I met her. We had a great time walking around town, meeting more friends, and experiencing a few of the restaurants. I was amazed to find out that Maastricht has 4 Michelin Star restaurants! In such a small city I think that is very spectacular. I was also able to watch the Mizzou-Illinois game (via the internet) with two friends I met last week. I think I've converted 2 more to love the Tigers!

The last event for the week was a free outdoor concert! I do not think I've ever seen such a diverse group of artists on the same stage. There were some jam bands, alternative music, heavy metal, and (of course) a few DJ's as well. Either way, it was a great time to get out on the beautiful weekend and listen to some live music! I am really hoping events like this happen all the time...

Besides that, classes start tomorrow... Hopefully it's not too difficult to make the transition.