Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Start of Classses

I've made it through a week and a half of classes in beautiful Maastricht. Here they pour on the work quickly. I have already made one class presentation, finished one group project, with two more due next week and read at least 250 pages of articles/textbook. But, I have still had time to hang out with friends and explore even more of Maastricht.

I found out that for 1 euro 50 cents you can climb to the top of a church right on the Vrijthof (the town square in the picture above) and was able to get a great view of Maastricht. I also quickly realized that no matter how much I've walked around and biked this city, it is very small, and it's streets very confusing.
I also had another friend come and visit this weekend. Silvio, from Germany, who was lucky enough to receive my wonderful Maastricht city tour (basically a big circle that goes by most of the impressive buildings I've found so far) before he took me off on my first journey out of the Netherlands so far- to Aachen. Aachen is right on the border of the Netherlands and Germany and is only a 20 minute drive from here, so it was not an incredibly long international journey, but it was fun nonetheless. Unfortunately, it was raining there and my camera died, so I guess I will have to head back to get those photos.

For this weekend, after I get all my assignments and group work done, I am planning on heading to Amsterdam to stay with Laura Morrison, an Ambassadorial Scholar from Sault Ste Marie Canada. From there we will head to Amersfoort to meet with other Ambassadorial Scholars and host counselors.